supported group rides

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator:vicwheelers

Joe Gard
supported group rides

Post by Joe Gard » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 am

Hey all, I'm looking for some feedback on 3 possible supported rides for Wheelers members. Proposed dates are June 15, June 23, June 29 and Aug. 18. There is also Hurricane Ridge July 1st which has been a traditional ride now for about 10 years or more. That ride usually sees about 80 plus riders if the weather is good. There is talk though of a crit around Costco on the same date so that might interfere with some riders. I personally love the Hurricane Ridge ride/weekend.
The other dates are just proposals from looking at the B.C. Masters and VCL schedules and I'm only looking to nail down 2 of those dates, not all of them. Karl's fondo is June 22nd and I really like the idea of doing 2 long rides back to back. How about anybody else?
The rides would be supported with a vehicle capable of taking a couple bikes if someone gets into trouble and can't keep up. It will also have bars, gels, coke, water, etc. I would encourage everyone to bring their own bars too though. The ride is going to be somewhere between 150kms-170kms. It will go over the Malahat, down through Mill Bay, Telegraph Rd, Cherry Point, Cowichan Bay, Maple Bay, Herd Rd and into Duncan. Then we will take the back road along the river and take Koksilah and come out near the hwy and take Cobble Hill Rd to Shawnigan and from there to the Malahat again and then Goldstream Ave. We will work out more logistics later but my main goal here is to see who is interested. This is going to be a group ride not a race. We can break into groups for sure but please treat this as a group ride. Most importantly we will all meet at the Fernwood for munchies and brewskies after the ride.
Feedback is appreciated.

trevor

Re: supported group rides

Post by trevor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 am

This sounds great Joe. I have some family stuff on a few of those dates but will make every effort to make something work out. I love the idea of the support vehicle, breaking up in to smaller (safer) groups, and getting to ride with Wheelers that I wouldn't normally get to.
Post ride at the Fernwood?
Cheers.
Trevor

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

Definitely sounds awesome! I also have family duties to juggle, and my priority would be to racing - but I will certainly commit to participating/supporting at least two of these supported rides this year.

The routes sound fantastic too - really looking forward to nice long rides in addition to racing this summer!

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm up for the rides - I have the Seattle to Portland on July 13/14, haven't looked at the race schedules.

The longer ride would be good for the fondo and Tour de Vic prep!

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm

These rides sound like a lot of fun Joe. If I am in town on those dates I am definitely in!

Mick

jumelage
Your Ride:Stevens Aspin
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Post by jumelage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Sounds like a great plan!
June 15 and June 29 are okay for me, June 22 unfortunately not and I'm not sure about Aug 18.
Joost