clinchers vs. tubulars

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator:vicwheelers

icraib
Your Ride:anything with two wheels
Favourite Ride Style:dirt and gravel
clinchers vs. tubulars

Post by icraib » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Looking for some feedback or guidance on moving over to tubulars. I've never used them. Anyone currently using them?
Ian

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road

Re: clinchers vs. tubulars

Post by marcel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:46 pm

I have a set of tub race wheels and have had on and off for years. The following is not what you'd call 'encouraging', but it's my honest opinion...

Tubular tires are a lot of work, and if you're not racing I would say it's not worth the effort. In fact, if you don't have a pro mechanic gluing for you and a team car following you around I'm not even sure they're justified for racing any more. High-end clinchers (like the cotton Turbos) with latex tubes feel as good as tubs to me on the road, and plentiful tubeless options for 'cross have a similar almost-tubular feel and performance.

Thanks!

icraib
Your Ride:anything with two wheels
Favourite Ride Style:dirt and gravel

Post by icraib » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Sound advice. I've just purchased a new road frame and came across some carbon tubular wheels at a discounted price.....which is the reason I was asking. Between your comments and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4dGMDtsq64 I'm not going down that road.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Ian

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I was wondering if tubeless tubulars changes that at all? TBF - cotton Turbos have a solid reputation as the best road tire available. GP 4000s rank pretty well but I digress...

I've heard of people ripping through the glue (combination of torque and adhesion), but flatting is a concern that tubeless tech would offset. It was a year or so back that someone mentioned they were riding on tubulars, but packed flip flops/thongs in the event they flatted. I laughed, then they showed us the flip flops...

The longer I wait, the better the tech gets.

mikeshea
Your Ride:c50
Favourite Ride Style:road

Post by mikeshea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:13 pm

I abandoned tubulars after the 3rd straight cut in a $75.00 tire in a row. This was 1980s and $75.00 hurt a lot. I did patch them but then they ride all lumpy. A LOT of work for little real benefit. Cost killed them for me but clinchers are so good now.

I use clinchers since but a work of caution to riders with carbon Clinchers. many Wheel makers do not recommend Latex tubes because of the heat from braking.

My current favourite Clincher is the new Vittoria graphene tires in 25. Getting great mileage, no flats in 1.5 years and predictable traction even after a year and 1/2. They ride as well as most tubulars too.