OBB-WHEELERS SATURDAY RIDE REPORT

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX
Re: OBB-WHEELERS SATURDAY RIDE REPORT

Post by ghomer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:57 am

Saturday OBB Ride - April 25

One of those unfortunate Victoria days where 40% rain means rain. A sizable group left the shop, with the non-fendered relegated to their own group of shame. This week's ride was devoid of middle-aged-man agro posturing, but there was a classic ridebombing incident (more on that later). A large group left from Sidney and the fireworks started once we passed through the Ferry lights on lands end. A large group always increases the chances of a 52ish minute KOM, a holdover from a Rob Britton cameo back in 2013. Either way, Emile said it best: "This is some fast ride" (sic). Well, yes, Emile it is 2015, which means Rio is just over a year away. Like most Saturday rides, Panorama was decisive again this week. A group of 10 odd made it over together, including Erik D. A first for the young man; deserving of a Wheelers forum shoutout. There was plenty of working together post Panorama, the ride most certainly benefiting from the jam of the Vandale/Canning combo, and the pure class of Curtis Dearden and Andrew Russell. The rollers leading into the Observatory saw the move of the day go - it was debatable if myself of Aruss could've followed the Emile, Vandale, Canning triumvirate, but we decided to play it tactically and let Curtis bring the move back. 'Twas not to be. I'm putting my money on Cody for the win, but as of press time this is not confirmed.

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road

Post by marcel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:40 pm

I personally think the fenderism was a bit like the H1N1 hysteria a few years back. I don't recall any rain actually falling (at least on our group, these are indeed strange days), and while I did get a few drops of spray on my glasses, it was far from the 2 hour gravel Slurpee that Trevor was making it out to be at the start.

What about the ridebombing?

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 pm

You never know what the weather will be like on the peninsula. I've been approached by several riders after similar days in the past month or so requesting we ask the fenderless to the back or in their own group. And I was approached again prior to the ride start in the parking lot to do so this morning.

Of course the one day I say something it proves ok.

No biggie but I apologize if it offended anyone.

marcel

Post by marcel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 am

trevor wrote:Of course the one day I say something it proves ok.
And I likewise couldn't resist the rare opportunity to give you a hard time about it! No offense here.

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat May 09, 2015 9:39 pm

What a day. Beautiful weather. Solid group of folks on their bikes. Hard ride. Awesome.
The front group has been trying something different on for size the past few weeks. Along the HWY stretch just past Michell's Farm we have asked that we stay singled up (nothing new) with the first rider staying on the front the whole stretch to Mt Newton Cross (new). It's proved good in a number of ways. The pace is much more steady, no one gets dropped, and we don't have anyone peeling off beside fast traffic. If the front rider needs to get off there is a safe stretch in the right turn lane down to the res.
The first group departed for Lands End with about 25 riders all together. Within the first roller the group became spread thin with a high pace and a few accelerations. By the time we ramped it up Craig Hill (thanks to Scotty Too Hotty) our group was down to 10. Inevitably Panorama was tough with Isaac taking advantage of some tentative legs, ARuss putting a DIG in over the top, and some bit biting down to the corners. A few more guys unhitched and we were down to the cream of the crop.
Russ got us back up to speed with another dig and we all kept rolling in to the Observatory. A few attacks off the front by Stephane and yours truly tested the waters and legs coming down Interurban with Scotty and Isaac on the pointy end of the sprint.
It was another fine example of the great riding we have here in Victoria.
Next week the club is running a membership table at OBB prior to the ride starting. Grab a java and shoot the breeze before we head out.

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by ghomer » Sat May 16, 2015 12:55 pm

May 16/2015

Overcast conditions did nothing to dampen the spirits of the optimistic among the group, as flash summer bikes were the order of the day. Fortunately, we were rain free, and nobody had to suffer through backspray. On the way to Sidney, the ride began to take on the character of a Tour of the Gila all-stars ride, as we were joined by recent stage winner Annie Ewart, and GC super-stud Adam De Vos. The wide was very well attended, and the group that departed Sidney for Lands End was quite large, but fortunately we did not count De Vos among our number. The spiciness started a bit later than usual, the final kicker on Lands End and Craig's Hill proving the first separating features. Scotty-two set a fierce pace up the latter, and a brief look-around on the ensuing descent confirmed the group was much reduced.

Isaac the dimpled possum was being his anonymous self in the group, which is code for 'I may not go often, but when I go, I go hard.' He picked up the pace for the initial panorama section, and as we approached the final kicker, there was some assertiveness at the front of the pack, with folks looking for wheels of those less likely to get gapped. Up and over the top, a group of six or so separated themselves, worked cohesively to establish a gap, but were brought back with the aid of some (in)conveniently placed Stop signs. The pace-line flowed like the Mississippi, with Isaac continuing to do his best to impersonate Jon Benskin. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but c'mon, it's Jon Benskin. The rollers leading up to the observatory say Isaac attack, with Raph and myself glued to his wheel. Our separation lasted until Interurban, as we were decisively reeled in by the chasers. A bit of a detente in the lead in to the sprint, with Stephane and myself taking turns trying to draw out the sprint kings. In the end, the Jon Benskin tribute band, Isaac LeBlanc took it.

Geoff

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat May 23, 2015 6:38 pm

5/23/15

Summer legs are in abundance as the late bloomers seem to be finding more form as we get closer to peak season...June. Our first group swelled to 30+ on the way out to Sidney. Uneventful, casual, chummy, it was a smooth coast for the first hour.

After our splash break an ambitiously sized A group hit the rollers that are Lands End. A solid and smooth paceline took us to Craig Hill where the massive peloton stayed together (for the most part). The airport stretch saw about half the group sitting in, surely saving their legs for the ever decisive Panorama. Nothing too serious over the top and a fortuitous red light brought the dropped fodder back to the leaders. Isaac, donning the new PCR kit, accelerated out of the intersection and in the dizziness and lightheadedness of watching the kaleidoscope design on the rear of his jersey tic-toc off the front, the group collectively pulled short and threw up. No joke. That kit is hard to look at. ;)

A brisk pace along Wallace, up and over the Observatory, and down on to Interurban saw a good mix of Wheelers, RHs, and the lone wolf Isaac vying for the sprint. Geoff and Mick led me out in to the sprint but we opened it up a bit early giving the strongmen a chance to come around. Cody, Isaac, Danick, myself, and Ty rounded out the North American podium.

Puking evidence:
rsz_mnc8nhs.jpg
rsz_mnc8nhs.jpg (68.26KiB)Viewed 6396 times

marcel

Post by marcel » Sat May 23, 2015 7:12 pm

I overheard a conversation on the way out which included a comment that OBB Saturday is 'probably the fastest ride in town…'

Is it?

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat May 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Ya I think it is. There's an IRC Thursday nighter that I hear goes quick and the RHs Thursday nighter used to be solid, but I think the OBB has more pop and punch. And I think we get a good showing of the strongest riders from a bunch of clubs each week.

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 pm

13/6/15

With the Cowichan Supported Ride falling on this fine June day there were notably less riders out taking on our Saturday World Championships. 2 groups departed OBB and rolled in to a slight head wind out the peninsula.

A good contingent of RHs, Mega Rath, GHomer, myself, Sharpie, and a bundle of others departed to Lands End where carnage ensued. The rollers spat guys out the back and as we turned on to Craig Hill and Cody accelerated the strong and weak were divided again. Cody the culprit kicked out of the corner at the coop gas station further inflicting damage on the group. Dude was on a mission.

Coming around the airport and gaps were forming every few paces. As we turned on to Panarama and tempoed up the climb we all knew what was coming, another Cody kick. Sure enough he went at the crest and a small break formed of myself, GHomer, MR, and RHs teammate Danick. We kept the pace high until an unfortunate red light allowed the chasers back on. Another light and we were back to 12 riders until the Observatory kicker. Another selection and we were on to Interurban. Danick's untimely flat and a good dig by Geoff (taking Cody with him) and I knew I was sitting pretty. With Cody doing 50% of the work to stay off the front all we needed to do was get the catch right and I'd ride right through the leaders. It wasn't meant to be. Atwell pulled us back as he only knows how, strong like an ox, and Cody sat up waiting for a wheel. His teammate Ty went next forcing our hand and forcing me to go early with Cody on my wheel.
Cody for the win.
Me for silver. And I was crushed.
No idea behind.
Great ride guys. Good times. HOD (Highlight of the Day): Ty Andrews shooting his banana peal in to a garbage can at 40k/hr
Oh, and we were able to get a photo from the finish line for this report. Whether or not RHs will have their UCI license revoked is in the air. ;)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.92KiB)Viewed 6334 times