OBB-WHEELERS SATURDAY RIDE REPORT

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Tom
Re: OBB-WHEELERS SATURDAY RIDE REPORT

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Oh today's Wheeler's Saturday ride was a doozie!! It being my first OBB ride in a while I wasn't sure what to expect, but prior to the ride I got a big morale boost when Scottie told me that he'd be looking for any opportunity to turn the screws to me. Likewise, Chopper Dan gave me a long winded story the other night about how he had done the OBB ride a couple weeks ago and thought he was in good shape, but then came unglued like a set of Steve Prefontaine's runners going over Panorama.

From the turn onto Lands End Rd the ride was a spicy one. Geoff Homer was all smiles and laughs as he upped the pace with dried on drool on his face, and someone not firmly concentrating on the wheel in front of them would have been able to see the group getting gradually smaller.

Curtis D, Cody, TMack, Dawson, GH, Scottie, and myself rolled through the airport with Panorama looming, and leading up the climb Cody took the reigns. With only the kick left, Curtis pushed hard over the top, and I managed to use my new-found xc skiing arm strength to pull myself into a more aero position going over the top. Trev, GH and myself worked to close a small gap into Saanichton, and from there seven riders kept things smooth until Geoff flatted just before Bouchart Gardens. I was just about to launch a devastating attack, likened only by one from Ron Benskin, but Geoff's mishap saved the other six riders as I decided to wait for Geoff by doing a small out-and-back loop while he repaired the puncture and his ego.

Once rolling, the pace became adequate again. Geoff and I held the front over the short rise to Hartland Rd, and Curtis took over the pacemaking past Prospect Lake Rd. Seeing three Wheeler's riders crest by the Observatory rollers with a small gap, I let the gap form playing a perfect teammate. I latched onto wheels down Interurban, and was finally joined by Scottie at Camosun, who must have dropped his chain at an unfortunate time.

Up ahead, I was sure my teammates would deliver the win with all the work I did to set them up, but I couldn't see who took the sprint as I was collecting the honours in the chase group. I'm going to assume from the laughter and general banter at the lights at Wilkinson that either Trevor or ARuss took down the duo of Cody and Curtis.

Until next time Wheeler's, keep it real and keep it fast. Keep it real fast. See you in the summer.

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by ghomer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:29 pm

OBB Ride Report - March 7 -

While the conditions may have been difficult to dress for, they were great to ride in. Only Joel Taylor, the entitled 17 year old, managed to complain about the temperature. In start contrast to my bank balance, ride numbers are creeping up as people come to expect great riding weather. Two large groups left the shop for the brisk jaunt out to Sidney. The first set of digs towards the end of Lands End were animated by ARuss, Joel and CCan, duly followed by a young whipper in a Manitoba kit. I will call him Bison.

Panorama again proved decisive. I presume Cody selected it his interval for the day, and he shattered the group. Eight or so crested with him, and settled into a good rhythm through Brentwood and onto Wallace. As we continued past Red Barn as one group, I started to fear Isaac the Speedskater and his high wattage sprint. CCan rudely went into my pocket, stole my book of matches, and burnt my last match for me when he attacked at the Observatory. It was all I could do to stay on his wheel. The elastic band stretched but not broken, the group reformed on Interurban. Big kudos to Mike D - not of the Beastie Boys - who ritually disemboweled himself as Isaac's leadout man into the last few hundred meters. I was too far back to see who won it, but I'm certain it was somebody with snap - either Cody or Isaac.

Cheers
Geoff

ghomer

Post by ghomer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:12 pm

Saturday Ride Report - March 14

Owing to the wet weather, low numbers rolled out of the parking lot as a single group. The ride to Sidney was unofficially partitioned into full and semi fender groups, with more than a few folks rolling into Sidney with dirt bedazzled faces.

The crew rolled out of Sidney with a larger than expected group, including some ringer from Speed Theory Calgary out for an Island Ride Camp. A ride which started off lightly seasoned on Land's End became fully spiced as ARuss pushed the pace up Craig's hill, joined by Isaac and yours truly. Solid work by Trev saw a re-group by the time we passed by Deep Cove Store. The lead in to the Airport was all about wind management. I've personally never ridden in a group during such an unpredictable wind-storm. Some tactical nous from Mick had us reversing our pace-line so as not to blow into one another. As we rolled into Panorama, ARuss assumed his Yeoman's role of pacing the group. A wee dig by Trev from Calgary briefly shattered the group, but a steely group of a half dozen or so crested together. The reduced group settled into a smooth paceline (as remarked by Calgary Trev) with all willing to suffer for the greater good.

Scenery changed, but roles stayed the same. The rollers into the Observatory brough ARuss to the front to set a hard tempo. Thankfully the man was rewarded for all his work, latching on to an Isaac move early on Interurban which was not to be caught. I assume Isaac won? He certainly won for most lateral distance covered through the course of the ride, but in my heart ARuss is the winner on the day. Man can he jam.

Geoff

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx

Post by aruss » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:02 pm

The snake-of-Issac did indeed take sprint honours. As we cobra & mongoosed past Hector Rd. it hit me in the face that I was finished. He slithered on my wheel from side to side spiraling me into shoulder-checking trance. He coiled and struck into the hill, releasing venom throughout my legs for which I had no antidote.

With those Calgarians on the ride today, it was certainly a reality check as to how fortunate we are to have this ride throughout the winter.

aruss

Post by aruss » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 pm

March 21,2015

Despite some early morning drizzle, two groups rolled out from the shop for the Saturday ritual adorned with flashy new kits. Please people, if the roads are wet, get your fenders set! Makes the whole ride more enjoyable and safer for everyone.

Moving well through Mt. Doug the group spotted a Red-Truck rider up ahead who did a 180 looking to join the fun. However, the solo rider rode the same, if not faster, pace than the group for some time some 100m ahead before disappearing.... (foreshadowing).

The skies started to clear as the group made made their way through the spring classics section and onto PatBay Power. After the pit-stop at Tulista the group carried on at a leisurely pace through Resthaven before reunited with aforementioned Red-Truck rider.....the infamous, all-round bike crusher, Craig Richey! It took a while for him to begin playing his cards but back along the airport cross-winds presented themselves again and a gap formed and spread quickly as he jammed in his drops. James jumped on Craig's wheel but I was positioned at the back and had that moment of indecision. I made the move around and began the quest to jump across with parting words from Mick of "good luck with that." After jamming quite hard for a minute or two i was able to connect through the first round-about as I railed the line. From there on it was a three-man train taking 30s pulls all the way to the rollers. Some digs ensued and were absorbed with discomfort. James gave Craig a go in the sprint but Richey reigned supreme!

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:17 pm

3/28/15

With last night's rain and wind, grey skies on the horizon, and the uncertainty of what the peninsula had in store for us, two distinct groups formed at OBB, those with fenders, and those without. My crystal ball said "dry" and I was hopeful that my new bike wouldn't be caught in the wet.
Our first group departing the shop proved to be massive. Something must have really interested riders to jump on board. I bet it was the chance to rub elbows with Geoff Homer, everyone's favourite guy. He can weave a good story with the best of them.
Eventually we divided this large group up as we approached the highway to keep things on the safe side. And indeed, the weather Gods were with us. No rain but a nasty wind that had many riders hiding in the pack saving themselves for the return stretch home.
Lands End proved typical, a brisk paceline stringing out the group and popping a few of the less hardy men. With a good sized peleton we revved it up Panorama further shelling some of the group and forcing those willing to work to bridge coming in to the village.
At this point about 15 or so riders came back together, some working more on the front than others. It was clear guys were nervous about what was to come. ARuss cracked the whip over Observatory with Isaac towing me back to him after a considerable effort to close the gap. Ralph, Scotty, and James were not far behind so the 6 of us held strong until the cat and mousing began. The chasers rejoined and the rollers were upon us. Isaac and Andrew took 1, 2 with this reporter took the final podium spot.
All in all a nice little cruise with some solid dudes on a fine day.

ghomer

Post by ghomer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 pm

April 4/2015

To quote Ice Cube 'it was a good day' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q). While the skies were ominous, there was scarcely a fender to be seen. Deep dish wheels and carbon frames were the order of the day. Three healthily sized groups rolled out of the shop for a brisk warmup out to Sidney. Tri guy Brent McMahon definitely kept the pace steady and quick on the way out, much to the chagrin of those espousing the warm-up-ness of the ride out to the Peninsula. Once we arrived in Sidney, it was decided that for future rides the stretch along the highway is a one person affair - for safety's sake, one person pulls the whole highway stretch, no riding two abreast.

Once the ride itself hit land's end there was a bit of a separation. A healthy group of folks rounded the airport for the ever decisive Panorama. Cody Canning, unsurprisingly, pushed the pace, with a brief respite for all just before the final kick and attack section. Those who expected Cody not to attack having done much of the work leading into the kicker were proven naive, and the guy with the casual glasses hit it again. Six or so crested the top, at which point Cody continued his jam session. Holding his wheel through John Dean was definitely the hardest part of the ride for yours truly. Although the group of six was caught heading into the four ways near the Prairie Inn, kudos go to Tony Wake who would've made the bridge solo. A yeoman's effort deserving of much praise.

Typical turning the screws heading into the observatory, and a sprint between Cody and Isaac to settle matters. Don't know who got it, but Cody definitely wins Most Combative and the dude in the Glotman-Simpson kit wins the 'I absorbed the most fitness' award.

aruss

Post by aruss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 am

April 11/2015

Day before the storm for most (Caleb/Roubaix) had many regulars resting the guns for this rendition of the Saturday ritual. A steady pace made its way to Sidney and around Lands End. A substantial cross-wind hit riders at Pat Bay providing good prep for Roubaix riders the following day. Over the pano kick Bison RH made a jump that split the group. Things reformed along Wallace for a spirited sprint taken by said Bison. Waterfront was reserved for cycle chat of all things Roubaix.

trevor

Post by trevor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:12 pm

4/18/15

Classic OBB VW Saturday World Champs..

- sunny and warm enough to shed the leg warmers and show off a winter's worth of training.

- Barry Beck and Mons Colwill show up for their first ride off mountain bikes in a dog's age

- massive group at the OBB parking lot. Easily 3 groups of 10-15 riders and as the first group rolled along we swelled to 30.

- an overly large A group departing our splash stop meant some souls would be crushed.

- Panarama, as always, was decisive, with 10 or so going over the top as the leaders. ARuss gets the most aggressive rider award for his work here starting at the bottom, getting caught, countering, chasing, and going over the crest.

- it's baseball season and with that comes a busy ballpark in Saanichton including unaware drivers backing out in to traffic. Careful folks. A pesky stop light aided in the stragglers rejoining the leaders.

- Isaac attempting a track stand at another red light and leaning in to MegRath with his hand, pushing her over for her first crash of the year. Smooth Isaac. Way to impress the ladies. Let's keep our hands to ourselves children.

- a few good digs through Wallace by myself, Geoff, and ARuss but no willing participants in turning it in to something to stick.

- a casual pace over Observatory with Geoff alone off the front and Isaac chasing pulling the group up.

- me trying to go solo form afar only to be brought back just in time to clutter the sprint and watch Isaac and Scotty duke it out for the sprint.

All in all a solid day and a sign of things to come. Good weather and string legs.

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road

Post by marcel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:57 pm

trevor wrote:- an overly large A group departing our splash stop meant some souls would be crushed.
We were only about 100m past the ferry overpass when Aruss went by me like he was riding a Ducati. Yeah, this is gonna hurt…

Next week, next week.