Island Cup #3

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator: vicwheelers

Ron

Island Cup #3

Post by Ron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:18 pm

The third race in the island cup mountain bike series took us to Maple Mountain on the north side of Duncan. The course underwent some changes and ended up a challenging 7KM loop. The first 2.5KM went up a logging road with some very steep sections. This was followed with about 4.5Km of singletrack that would make a downhiller smile and a roadie nervous. A few days of rain before the race added a little grease to an already technical course.
I ran intermediate men which was two loops.I had a good start and stayed with the lead group up the first climb. I entered the singletrack in sixth but was able to make 3 quick passes on the technical sections. I was able to pick up the pace a little until I caught some expert racers that I couldn't get around. I finished the first loop in third, a minute behind second. I got some daylight in front of me on the second big climb and felt good going over the top. I had a clear downhill course in front of me and a good opportunity to make up some time. But how things can change in an instance. About half a KM into the singletrack I sliced a sidewall on my rear tire. 4KM to the finish, start running! I managed to finish seventh and got some awesome cyclocross training in.
Congrats to Tom Skinner who grabbed second in a stacked expert field. And thanks to the folks at Cowichan Cycles for putting on the race .
See you at Cumberland next week.
Ron

trevor

Re: Island Cup #3

Post by trevor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 am

Great report Ron! Thanks for posting and congrats. Great job considering you ran half the final lap. Monster!
Trevor