Sunday Ride Report - Bookends!

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Rumble Paul
Your Ride:Cervelos/Specialized
Favourite Ride Style:Road/CX/MTB
Sunday Ride Report - Bookends!

Post by Rumble Paul » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Well, this ride report is a double one. To explain:

Two years ago this week, I tried going on my very first Sunday Wheelers ride. It was going to be a stretch, since I had only had my road bike for a month and hadn't ridden a road bike for more than 20 years before that. A year earlier I had still been on the lung transplant wait list, with atrophied legs and on oxygen 24/7. Riding any kind of bike was pure fantasy. But in late March 2012, nearly a year after the operation, I decided to give my best shot by joining Sunday group ride I had heard of. Beginner friendly? "Recovery" ride? This just might be possible… or so I thought!

All was good (but hard!) until we got to the yaght club hill into Uplands - I couldn't figure out why everyone else wasn't slowing down. I thought I was going to pass out from the effort! Despite my best efforts, the gap grew and I decided I would turn off near the top and hope no one would notice. However, a very friendly guest ambassador (Joe and Kim were away) named Pete Dunfield dropped back, introduced himself and told me to catch his wheel. I was embarrassed but grateful, and though it was the greatest struggle imaginable, I caught back up with his constant encouragement. The ride continued, and the struggle continued, but I was elated just to hang in there. The story repeated itself on Panaorama. I was in awe of how easy it seemed for others, and without Pete dropping back I would never have been able to remain in contact. We made it back to the shop, and I honestly considered it the greatest achievement of my adult life - finishing the Wheelers 'recovery' ride! The bonus was having made a new friend in Pete.

Fast forward to this last Sunday. About 15 of us rolled out, including a couple of riders new to the group. Overcast, but dry and not too cold. Joe and Kim did a good job of explaining the ride. I felt privileged and grateful to be able to take my turns at the front without struggling or worrying I was holding the group up. Despite one mistake of leading too quickly up Mt. Doug (one guy was on me the whole way up, and I thought the rest were just behind), the group had a good ride out to Sidney. Around the airport, a minute or two out from the Panorama climb on East Saanich, I found myself on the front with my friend Pete. Knowing my weakness of the hill, Pete suggested we could peel off at the bottom. However, Vegan Dave had taught me a clever survival tip that is especially useful on the Sunday ride - stay on the front and go my own pace! This way anyone who wants to can come around, and if they don't I get to ride my own pace up. Pete welcomed the chance to go easy on his tired legs (he hammered the day before) and I was able to maintain a slow but respectable pace until the crosswalk near the top. It took great effort (not enough road riding this winter!), but the group stayed together over the top of the ridge. The ride was pleasant and conversational until the rollers on West Saanich. It was a nice pace, but near the top some characters decided to put the pressure on.

I was once again in semi-survival mode, chasing at this point would not be an options so I just kept the wheel in front of me. However, as we rode past the Observatory, about 6 riders took off. My brain was starved for oxygen, and I was 'in the zone' so not paying close attention to who was where, but I do recall taking the corner wide of the pace line next to Mike, then Daryl (orange winter bike) going off Jens Voigt style early on Interurban. Seems like Joe wasn't happy to let it go uncontested. He led out the chase group, and I caught onto the pace line and did what I hope was a good, honest pull on the front going down the hill. I pulled off, and it took 100% effort (and torqued out of my cleat!) to catch Joost's wheel. A few times I was gapped, but figured it was worth giving everything I had just to stay in contention since it's always better to burn out than watch the sprint from a distance! By pure fluke, I came into the bottom corner fourth or fifth, with Joe, Pete, Daryl, Mike and Joost all in contention. I think I was on Joost's wheel at that point (it's all a blur) but I was operating on instinct and came around with about 6-7 seconds left in the sprint to somehow eke out a 'win'. To the extent someone can 'win' a recovery ride!

So, it felt really amazing to me, to think back to three years ago when my life was hanging by a thread, and two years ago when just finishing was a major accomplishment. And I owe it all to other people! To my donor, without whom I would not be alive. To Joe and Kim for creating the atmosphere for the steadiest and friendliest group ride in town. To my friend Ty who encouraged me to try road riding again. To Pete, without whom I may never have persevered with group riding! And to all those who come out each week to share their stories and stoke for life, and giving me a wheel to chase on.

Thanks to everyone for making Sunday the best day of the week!

Paul

Tom

Re: Sunday Ride Report - Bookends!

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 am

Rad. One of the best race reports I've read... except for the ones I write, obviously.

Glad to see you guys having so much fun, and trying to smash it a bit at the finish. Congrats on the win Paul!

trevor

Post by trevor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Awesome report!
I love hearing about rides I rarely get to do. Your play-by-play is great and your personal story inspiring.
Good on ya.
Trevor

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 am

A little late reply but better late than never. I'm not very good at commenting and "capturing" the Sunday ride reports. Paul's commentary is/was very moving. He is such a good guy and so grateful. Same with Pete Dunfield, If it wasn't for Pete staying back and encouraging Paul, I'm not sure Paul would have been so excited and he might not have come back. So...thanks so much to Pete for his encouragement and help :D
I also want to thank all the people who come on this ride. No...this is not a huge group-ride and no it is not a fast competitive ride but it is an inclusive ride. Everyone needs recovery rides if you're riding hard at times. Newer riders to group-riding are always welcome. We just ask that you have some fitness. We typically average around 26 - 29 kms/hour depending on the weather and which bikes we ride. WE can have anywhere from 3 - 26 riders depending on the weather. Back to the latest ride report for Sunday.
Big group of about 16 from the shop. We usually pick up 2 or more along the way...which we did. It was a little brisk (not the weather but the speed) heading out to Sidney. Paul was feeling especially spirited I think!!! :twisted: Layne was too :evil: There were some strong riders in the group...and I have to say Paul Underhill was one of them!!! Way to go Paul!! Those new lungs seem to be working just fine. On the highway after Michel's Jeff was on the front and led out nicely for about 50 - 100 meters but then he went hard and Larry joined him. I yelled "let them go" but Kim was the next wheel and she already knew what to do. It was a nice pace the rest of the way on the hwy. In Sidney I had to make an announcement to keep the pace down as it is a recovery ride. The rest of the ride was good, at least to Willis Point Rd where 8 of us took the turn and did the climb with a nice pace being set by Kim and Doug. Took Ross-Durrance Rd over to Munn Rd. That is such a fun stretch (except the steep uphills of course). The corners are so much fun. Wish I was there for the sprint on Interurban but sadly...missed it so I don't know who won. My guess is Layne or Paul. After struggling up the hills we took W. Burnside to the Goose and had a nice casual ride to Good Earth Coffee shop. End of story. Yep, I know...not very creative but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Wow, what a turnout today!!! Over 30 riders and many of them new to group-riding. In my drunkenness :mrgreen: I decided we should all go out in 1 group. Mistake on my part. We should have split into 2 - 3 groups with all the new riders. Fortunately there are a few peeps who can help being that they are somewhat regular. The group split almost immediately from the shop. I and some others stayed at the back with the newer riders and coached them along. Thanks to Rob G. for his help!! The group did split anyhow as the inexperienced riders struggled a bit. We arrived in Sidney about 5 - 10 minutes after the first group. Then we all did a big group-hug :D and got a couple pictures of most of us. We split into 2 groups from the Sidney washrooms as some of them were in a more spirited mode. 9 - 10 of us decided to do Willis Pt and Ross Durance and Millstream and over to the new Spencer overpass and along Goldstream Ave to the Atkins and the Goose. Definitely some hard efforts on the Willis and Ross Durance legs. Big-Ring King here did the whole thing in...yes the big ring. It's great to see so many women coming out. I think the Monday and Wednesday rides are really contributing to the women coming on this ride. Thanks everybody for coming out!!!!!!

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:07 pm

We're still getting a good size group on these rides. For those of you who are regulars, I thank you very much for making this ride so good. This past Sunday was no exception. We had 17 riders and one or two new ones. Everything went well. You know...one of the best things about this ride is the coffee at Good Earth at Uptown. Great little place. Actually it's not that little. Lots of room for bikes, lots of outdoor tables and chairs. Oh yeah...great coffee and food too!!

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Great ride today!

Lot of familiar faces, and some new ones. We detoured to get to Windsor because of the Oak Bay car show. The decision was made to split the group up after getting onto Hunt rd. The model air show was also going today, when we passed their spot just before Mitchell's farm.

It was brief at Tulista, before the "punchy punchy" group left first. I will remember Nathan flying past me just before it ramps up on Panorama - he said he was on my wheel, so I will take credit for the assist. Next time, Nathan. Next time... Three of us broke away from the group on the hill just past the Red Barn - Kim, and I don't recall who the third was. The group overtook us about half way through the rollers. I still don't quite know where the sprint starts (or finishes) on Interurban, but me and the guy in the IRC jersey were tied for 5th at one point. I have some work to do if I want to finish better.

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am

Confirmed: This past Sunday, there was a triathlon going on - the Oak Bay Eliminator. 200 m swim, 5K bike and 1K run - not remotely Sprint distance, but you do it repeatedly?! Understandably, attendance was done due to being held the same day as the Tour de Vic and the weekend of the Penticton Challenge (formerly Ironman) ;)

I remember most of the group taking the ride extension onto Willis/Ross Durrance. I didn't, and quickly gave up chasing the IRC guys & Wheeler after the hill past the Red Barn. Rode casually until Nathan flew past me on Interurban, so I had to return the favour before Camosun. Then I encountered closures as the Tour de Vic snaked back and forth over Interurban (travelling opposite direction) before reaching the lights - no good deed goes unpunished!

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road

Post by marcel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Seems like Sunday brings out 3 basic groups of people. There are those who are new (or new back) to the sport or to group riding and are looking to get their legs under them and gain some valuable experience. Then there are those who have plenty of experience and fitness, but hold the wise belief that riding a bicycle should not be a perpetually painful experience. Finally, there are those of us who have done (often more than) our share of suffering for the week, but just can't seem to climb off the horse. Luckily, there is something for everyone…

Today was very sunny. I didn't want to wear my gloves. After sitting in the parking lot for a few minutes, I put them on.

Surprised to see just shy of 20 at the shop by 9. Guessing maybe yesterday's epic battles left most crawling to their couch this morning, or maybe the need to cut the lawn (February, wtf?) was harshing a lot of people's mellow. Anyway, we crowded around the sunny corner of the parking lot while Joe explained the ride. As we headed out in 2 groups I noticed that, unlike me, a lot of people had their shiny summer hardware out. Race wheels and electronic shifters. In February. What, are we in Spain?

There's not to much to be said about the action on a good Sunday ride, because that's the point of a good Sunday ride. The pace was conversational and steady in our group all the way to Sidney. I do think it's worth mentioning the work that Joe and Kim (and others, I'm sure) do to welcome new folks into the OBB/Wheelers rides. I have been a member of and ridden with quite a few clubs in my life as a cyclist, some more and some less inclusive by nature, but I do think that the deliberate identification and support of new people that these guys do is unique. Along with helping to build confidence and interest among those who are new and therefore to expand the sport in our area (good for everyone), this kind of work makes a massive contribution to the safe riding environment within the rides themselves (good for everyone). So yeah, kudos to you for what you continue to do!

Then we had a pit stop. It was very sunny. I tried to take my gloves off. I put them back on by the time we got to Beacon.

The second verse was pretty much the same as the first, with 2 groups moving out at a similar relaxed, smooth pace. Being able to hold a conversation all the way up Panorama is a pretty good sign it's Sunday. Several from our group turned off for a little Willis Point/Ross Durrance/Millstream Lake adventure, which sounded like a lot of fun on a sunny day. The rest of us continued at our friendly pace all the way to the observatory, at which time we felt the need to prove that, despite many years of collective experience, we still couldn't fully grasp the concept of a 'recovery ride'. The pace wound up pretty steadily from there to the college. I felt that I was well positioned on Andrew's wheel, but ended up being about a second late turning my head to see Mick launch. I jumped, but by the time I came around he had about 20 to 25m of clear air behind him. I clawed back to about 10m, but with his impeccable timing and clearly superior AE, it was never going to happen. A couple guys (sorry I can't name names, I'm new around here!) attacked over me and almost made it, but I think Mick held on to take the honours(?) After hearing that he dropped a World Tour pro in Uplands yesterday, I didn't feel so bad...

It was still very sunny when we got to Esquimalt. I took my gloves off and put them in my pocket for the roll back to the shop. Success.

For those who are interested, my ride details are here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/258649183
Last edited by marcel on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Your Ride:Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Post by marc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Glad to see the Sunday ride getting some write up love... Great write up!