Mar22 Caleb VCL

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator: vicwheelers

trevor

Mar22 Caleb VCL

Post by trevor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:12 pm

For the first race of the season we had a load of OBB Wheelers in the A and B race. Represented in the As were the full RHs squad, a few IRC lads, DrW, and a bunch of solo riders from Broad Street to PCR to no affiliations.
Off the gun for 18 laps we went and the pace was fast and didn't let up. RHs was relentless in trying to get away but ARuss, Geoff, and Eugene were workhorses. For the first 9 laps of the race it seemed there were attacks on every climb and out of every corner. By the time we got down to 9 to go there was a dangerous group of 3 off the front. ARuss and Geoff brought it back and for the remaining 5 it was just a matter of keeping it together for the sprint. The group, once 25 strong, was down to 10 or so riders with 4 Wheelers: ARuss, Geoff, Eug, and myself. On bell laps and along the long top stretch ARuss got me along the outside and towards the front. Out of the corner he drilled it and brought me down the hill in second position. He was spinning out as we hit the valley and RHs overtook us on the inside. I jumped on, was boxed in slightly and not able to really open it up, and finished 4th with Eugene in 2nd. A great outcome for the first race of the year.
Huge props to ARuss and Geoff for keeping in together. Last season the RHs crew rode away from the pack. With the tireless effort of these two riders we were able to finish strong and place well.
Nicely done fellas.
Would someone in the B race post a report?

marc
Your Ride: Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style: Road

Re: Mar22 Caleb VCL

Post by marc » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:52 pm

kaylavandermolen

Post by kaylavandermolen » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Nice job out there today boys!
The new colors look zippy and it's easier to pick everyone out I think.
Looking forward to seeing you in April! I've still have hours of time on the bike until I'm near race ready :?

marc
Your Ride: Norco Tactic

Post by marc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:18 am

B Race rundown from yesterday (guys feel free to chip in as I wasn't racing.) Representing the Wheelers were Malcom, Kevin and Matt.

Seemed like the B group stuck together throughout the race. There were some pretty intense turns at the front by James and Leif - driving up the pace which seemed to shatter the pack around the midway point in the race. Not 100% sure what happened, but I heard that the B group actually caught up to the A pack after getting passed at one point. After the two groups merged for a while, the A selection was made leaving some fragments in the B group until the end. Vinko played his cards well, staying hidden throughout the race, then sprinted for a decisive win with a big gap between him and the next place finisher.

david
Your Ride: bikes
Favourite Ride Style: MTB

Post by david » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 am

KILLER RESULTS GUYS!!
I would have loved to be there, but I as well am not quite race-ready. My bikenomics theory had to be enforced: if I cannot afford at least 10hr/week on the bike, I have no business wasting $10 on a race....when I can mtn bike all day.

Eugenehahn
Your Ride: Specialized

Post by Eugenehahn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 am

Great race wheelers! It was a tough one for the first half as Trevor reported. Geoff and ARuss were large for the team and deserve big props! Trev too, you did a great job following the plan and being race captain on the road. I couldn't help but notice that the RH guys would attack each other often, but if anyone other then RH attacked it seemed there was pretty unified response from them to shut anything down. I know on my one attack when I looked back and saw Curtis, Jordan and a couple of others lined up on the front I knew that I was doomed. Anyway, Duane has some great pictures up on his website if anyone doesn't already know. @ MarkD: Pretty sure the "B" group didn't catch us. When we passed them halfway up the false flat we were probably going 5-8kmh faster. Broadstreet James jumped to catch on (big no-no) and I think the whole group drafted us until the finish climb. If you look at strava lap times, I would guess we on average were 15 seconds faster per lap? Anyway, great result for our team. It should be even better when PCR puts their team in the mix. Cheers

Eugene