April 15 - Latoria VCL

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator: vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride: Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style: CX

April 15 - Latoria VCL

Post by ghomer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Quick turnaround from Sunday's Caleb Race to the first Latoria of the year. Russ Hays elected to pass on their home race in favour of Enumclaw. Definitely made for wide open racing. Joel and Isaac, both fresh off wins on the weekend, attacked from the gun. The H. was O. Team tactics were to be bold, trust our individual form, and don't settle for a group sprint.

ARuss, Mick, Eugene, Trev, Stephane all had their time off the front and/or attacking the pack. In my vain attempts to create separation, I had trouble finding a willing breakaway companion, the usually reliable Andrew McCartney having an off day and/or playing into teammate Isaac's hand. Jamie Cameron, with little training under his belt, was a definite surprise package, picking his attacks well and being decisive. The longest-lived move of the day took place in the last third of the race, when Mick grabbed Isaac's wheel and the two rode 10-15 seconds off the front until the penultimate lap. We didn't like Mick's chances against Isaac in a two-up, and with an unwilling Pro City squad, Joel and the various Wheeler studs brought the two back.

If moves don't stick at Latoria, the de facto finish line becomes the final corner which leads into the 300-400m uphill drag. Being fresh and near the front at the corner is the recipe for victory. This usually makes for a little 'how's your father' in the lead in. Mick, the day's MVP, pushed through a great leadout, dropping Trev in a great spot at the start of the uphill drag. An early sprint saw TMac blow everyone away, save Isaac (who at press time may be receiving a DQ for missing laps). Let's assume that the DQ sticks, and we've got the first Wheeler 'w' of the year courtesy of TMac. I counted four wheelers in the top six.

Shout outs to the Russ Hays staff, assorted volunteers, and the incomparable Duane Martindale for their hard work making these grassroots races happen.

Until next Wednesday

Geoff

jmpb

Re: April 15 - Latoria VCL

Post by jmpb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:47 am

Great race guys. Super fun having a strong team to work with. I am sure there will be a number of "w"s for the Wheelers this year!

marcel
Your Ride: norco
Favourite Ride Style: road

Post by marcel » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:53 am

The B race was the first VCL of the season for most of the Wheelers present, with (I believe) Andy P having been the only recent Caleb Pike attendee.

The sedate first lap gave way to a flurry of attacks, the first few of which Marc, Kayla, Andy and myself managed to follow pretty well. A group of 4 got away on the third pass, and I have to confess that poor road position and a little confusion caused by the presence of lapped C riders meant that I was not aware of this for a couple laps following. Andy did a lot of hard work trying to organize and maintain a chase, but the presence of a couple TS riders in the break (sorry, I'm new here and don't really know anybody who isn't wearing Wheelers kit) and the large number of TS riders in the field served to frustrate any efforts, and the flyer was soon out of sight. Several attempts to bridge by various riders as the laps ticked by were similarly unsuccessful, and the field basically ran out the road together.

Lessons I Have Learned For Future Wheelers B Race Domination: There should be some blue and gold in everything that goes farther than 10m off the front of the field, and Aruss' advice during recce to 'stay at the front' should be considered absolute law.

I would also like to echo Geoff's recognition of the RH crew and others for all their hard work in putting together what was, by all accounts, a very well-run, fun and safe event.

trevor

Post by trevor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:30 am

It was a great race in the As! Kudos to the guys for being decisive and working hard. It makes for some pretty fun racing. Well done.

stephane
Your Ride: Norco tactic
Favourite Ride Style: Gangnam

Post by stephane » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Great recap by Geoff. I think we are all enjoying racing this year. Strong riders, great team spirit, good times!

marc
Your Ride: Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style: Road

Post by marc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks for the write up Marcel - the B train is filling out and that will make for some fun races!