Gentlemen's ride weekly ride reports

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

marc
Your Ride:Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road
Gentlemen's ride weekly ride reports

Post by marc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Tonight marked the first of the Gentlemen's rides. The weather was warm, wind was low. Perfect conditions for a Monday night ride through some beautiful Victoria terrain.

9 of us rolled out of the shop, with AByrnes catching on midway. The route this week went along KGT, caught the scenic detour, then headed out to 10 mile point to head through Queenswood. From there, we headed back along Cedar Hill down to the Fernwood Inn - ice cold Rumble immediately showing up at our table for some recovery nutrition. Then shortly after, nachos, Lighthouse beer and wing. The "other" kind of recovery nutrition. Strava link below, with pictures.

https://www.strava.com/activities/289493944

marc

Re: Gentlemen's ride weekly ride reports

Post by marc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 pm

New week, new route.

This week, the weather was kind to us - the daytime looking pretty dodgy, but then towards the evening, it warmed right up. 10 Gentlemen met up at the shop for a 6:30 roll out. Our route this week headed out along the waterfront, then ventured into less traveled roads throughout Esquimalt including Munro and the trail along Portage park. After that, a roll along View Royal out to Burnside. Along Burnside there was a spirited impromptu sprint just past Charlton, with Derek taking it. Rolling back along the Goose a call for a sprint along Harbour was made and Andrew Sherry snagged that one followed by yours truly.

Afterwards, lovely food, rumble and beer was had at the Fernwood Inn. Their yam fries are seriously good. There also may have been some ideas brewing about inventive drinks to be made with Rumble. Stay tuned.

I'm going to start a seperate thread in "Ride Planning" for route ideas. At this point in the year when the daylight is short, an hour and a half should be the goal.

Strava below with some snaps:

https://www.strava.com/activities/293943175

marc

Post by marc » Tue May 05, 2015 7:16 am

Last night was a great night for riding! It showed - 15 people showed up in the parking lot this week, and riding down the road was a sea of blue - both OBB and Wheeler kit. Great turn out for week 3.

We headed out along Pandora to avoid a nasty headwind, venturing out the Goose to hit our destination of choice - Highland Road. For anyone who hasn't gone and ridden it, or ridden it yet this year... Go do it. The pavement out past the halfway point is pristine, so it made for some very fast and fun cornering through a beautiful part of Victoria. Heading back we hit Burnside Road, with the first sprint point being being immediately after Burrnside road - I took that sprint, but I think only 3 of us went for it. Still. I'll take it. After that, we headed back in along the Goose, with Harbour Road being the next sprint - kudos to Aidan - he made it look like no one else tried.

Festivities at the Fernwood Inn commenced afterwards, with the heaters on and mild weather in full force. Beautiful way to end a great ride. Thanks to everyone who made it out - the rides are becoming more and more fun each week.

Strava with a couple of pictures:

https://www.strava.com/activities/298403914/

marc

Post by marc » Tue May 12, 2015 8:00 pm

This week, the weather was iffy, but the numbers weren't. Another solid week of around 15 gentlemen. The classic Prospect-Observatory-Interurban route was chosen with sprints along Interurban and Harbour. Additionally, Observatory was a free for all.

Ian and Scotty crested the Observatory first highlighting their dashing strength to weight ratios. Andrew took Interurban and Rumble Paul took down Harbour Road. There was some good riding Monday and some good efforts.

Afterwards, Fernwood showed us all up by bringing out the most ridiculously huge plates of nachos. They were also ridiculously tasty paired with beer, so decidedly, Fernwood won overall for the ride.

Strava with pics:

https://www.strava.com/activities/302808261

marc

Post by marc » Tue May 26, 2015 10:10 am

Standard route with a couple of twists thanks to Shrew and Kyle Denny:

https://www.strava.com/activities/311957453

A huge part of what's making the Gent's rides so fun for me is seeing the usual routes, but then also getting to find the small detours that other people make when they go that route. On the 10 mile point loop - I'd usually go down Baynes, but we went down Spring Bay and used a walking trail to cut through. Having a slightly different route just makes it fun. Another highlight was finding a new path from Evergreen to get down to Gordon Point. After that we went out and headed around Beaver Lake and Back on Interurban. Kudos to AByrnes for nabbing the sprint at the end of Interurban after setting the pace for a large stretch of the road. Second and third were Kyle and Jag. Back along Harbour it was a fight between Shrew and I for spot #1, and this time Shrew felt kind and let me have the sprint. Thanks man.
IMG_20150525_192156.jpg
Up along Mount Doug road
IMG_20150525_192156.jpg (111.54KiB)Viewed 3103 times
Fernwood, as always, was a delight. Burgers were the order of the day with the crowd split 50-50 between the Fernwood Burger and the Chorizo Burger. Burgers are always the correct decision for how to end a ride. Always.