VCL Report - Mount Doug HC July 19

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator: vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride: Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style: CX

VCL Report - Mount Doug HC July 19

Post by ghomer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Seeing as Hill Climbs have little in the way of tactics, I'll take a bit of a different tack for this week's VCL race report. Sit back and relax, I'm going to get long winded. I've been blessed (or burdened) to have quite a lithe build, which often sees me typecast as a climber. Granted, I can climb and I enjoy being able to climb relatively well, but this year I really pushed myself out of my comfort zone and opted to focus my training on my weaknesses as a rider. With a commitment and a schedule that had me doing Tabata type intervals exclusively, I forced myself to take the easy workout option. In previous years when I've been in doubt about what to do for an interval workout, I'd simply default to Observatory or Mt. Doug repeats. This year, I haven't done an Observatory or a Mount Doug repeat workout all year. 'Why is this relevant to today's race report' you might ask? Well, I had no idea how I'd go up Mt. Doug today. I'd like to think I'm punchier than in previous years, but I have no idea how that would translate into a Mt. Doug Hill climb. serious anxieties about how I'd go up Mt. Doug. With that in mind, I focused on even pacing and had an average power goal in mind to keep my efforts measured...

End result, I set a time far below my expectations and got the 'W'. Second on the bounce for the Wheelers. Rumours of a course record...And to sum up this forum post, I don't think there is any doubt that the marginal gains from training your weaknesses far exceed the marginal gains training your strengths...do with that what you will.

Geoff

marcel
Your Ride: norco
Favourite Ride Style: road

Re: VCL Report - Mount Doug HC July 19

Post by marcel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:44 pm

That's awesome man, big congrats! One more and it's an 'era', right?

marc
Your Ride: Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style: Road

Post by marc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Congrats Geoff, and great write up - the back story is always interesting!

trevor

Post by trevor » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Epic. Happy for you pal. Well done.