Spectacle Lake CX Ride

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

trevor
Spectacle Lake CX Ride

Post by trevor » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Tom and I opted to tackle a bit of an exploratory CX ride instead of the usual pleasurably aggressive OBB Saturday ride. Seeing as I hadn't been on my Threshold since December I took it by OBB, got it Stans'd up, threw some bottle cages on, and got settled in to the idea of a good, long trail adventure.

9am at the Switch and we set our sights towards the Malahat, Spectacle Lake, and a radar tower that was "somewhere near the top". Tom was riding his Norco Revolver 29er HT so we spun out Atkins and worked our way towards Langford Lake. The descent in to Goldstream is always super fun and the early morning shade was a reprieve from the hot sun. Tom set a good tempo and pretty quick we were at the summit turning on to Spectacle.

From here we linked up a series of double track logging roads and worked our way to Oliphant Lake, a more deeply located lake close to our summit destination. The route was a mix of chunndery baby heads, leg sapping gravel, and smoothly worn trail. Sadly our summit attempt would not occur on this day as I was on a tight curfew. We double backed and worked our way back to the Hat where we made quick work of the kms en route to the trusty Langford Chevron for root beer and freezies.

Home early with 90k, 1000m, and 4hrs of moving time under our tires, it was a good way to kickstart the CX season.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.54KiB)Viewed 2335 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.29KiB)Viewed 2335 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.58KiB)Viewed 2335 times