Caleb - March 20

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

trevor
Caleb - March 20

Post by trevor » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:09 pm

The first VCL of the season saw high numbers in the A group. 6 Wheelers (Sharpie, ARuss, Rich, Geoff, Eugene, and this reporter), a bunch of RHs, and a good mix of other clubs and teams made up the field.
RHs animated the race with Isaac going right from the start and not letting up for what seemed like the entire 14 laps. After 5 laps ARuss found himself off the front with Curtis and Isaac but some cagey teamwork saw the pack catch the Wheeler and the 2 RHs riders hold a gap that ranged from 10-20s. With few brave souls willing to get to the front and support the reeling in of the break, the gap slowly opened in the final 4 laps. A few moves by Geoff, ARuss, and myself didn't garner much traction and we were left putting all of our coin in to the bank of Eugene. The fast man unleashed a staggering kick with a young RHs racer almost getting him at the line. Eugene for third.
All in all a super hard race, a good result, but an opportunity left untapped. Onwards and upwards to the next one.

Eugenehahn
Your Ride:Specialized
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Re: Caleb - March 20

Post by Eugenehahn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks for the props Trev. It really was team effort out there as it felt like all day it was us vs the RH crew with the boys in blue doing the lion's share of keeping the race alive. Sadly the blue train was a little out of sync as we often were working alone on the front with a couple of RH's wheel sucking to interrupt the chase. Kudos to them for good tactics, but damm it was frustrating! Aruss, GHomes and Sharpie were huge out there digging in many, many times to keep the pack close with a few "almost catches". The last couple of laps were a welcome relief for me as I gave up chasing feeling that the deed was done, and I settled on to Trev's wheel as per our discussion at coffee house. Sadly I could not match his last lap kick, lost the wheel and fluttered about at the back hoping for some luck...and that luck came in the form Geoff midway down the back straight. After picking up a couple spots out of the top corner I caught on to Geoff's wheel. A quick glance back and he set off down the outside gaining more valuable spots and momentum, clearing the path for one last all out burst up that finishing hill. It proved to be just enough as the finish with Amiel was the closest finish I have ever contested. No "w", but a good effort by all and a positive start to the season.
#wheelersrule

Cheers
Eugene