BC Road Champs Cat3

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

ianbrown
Your Ride:Rainbow Specialized Allez
Favourite Ride Style:Road
BC Road Champs Cat3

Post by ianbrown » Sun May 29, 2016 1:46 pm

After not hearing back from BC cycling about my upgrade to Cat2, and worrying they might not accept my VCL results as valid for upgrade points, I opted last minute to go over the the mainland for the BC Road Champs. I was the lone Wheeler in Cat3's again, but was joined by a couple fellow Islanders reping Pro-City, Tubbs and Maxim. The route was 5 laps of the EV Spring Series Atomic Supersize: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2937164

The skis were overcast and the ground wet, so the group took the first lap super conservative as we figured out the corners and got covered in what I hope was mud and grit, but smelt more like farm animal excrement. On the second lap I felt like stretching my legs, so bridged up a lone break, after swapping a few pulls we had become a short lived break of 3. The next couple of laps saw everything major chased down by everyone, and the usual cat3 antics of everyone sitting up until one of the larger teams got nervous about a solo rider off the front.

At 2 to go (lap 4) Tubbs and I put in a dig on the opening climb, but were brought back by the top. On the straight before the final corner everything was together, and few big attacks by Tubbs and some other riders saw us all strung out, which suited me as I happily wheel surfed to the front. Out of the final corner with about 500m left on the uphill drag, I was sitting 10th'ish. A couple riders kicked off the front and I latched on. Just as the road plateaued before the line I was launching my final kick which would have put me in second (Guy in the early kick still had a sizable gap), but another rider had the same idea, forcing me into the grass. This allowed another 2 riders enough time to get around and snag 2nd and 3rd. I rolled in for forth after my failed attempt at turning it into a cycle-cross race.

Overall I think I this was my best race this season strategically, only working when I was on the attack, and not listening to my nerves and chasing down things that didn't need to be chased. I now absolutely have enough points for my Cat2, and I also won 15$ for my 4th place which should cover the days coffees.

Time to drink a coke to kill those animal germs.

Eugenehahn
Your Ride:Specialized
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Re: BC Road Champs Cat3

Post by Eugenehahn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 am

Nice work Ian. The smell on the Ross road side of the lap was pretty bad. Good on you for smart tactics and a solid finish.

Cheers
E

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road

Re: BC Road Champs Cat3

Post by marcel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 pm

ianbrown wrote:covered in what I hope was mud and grit, but smelt more like farm animal excrement
Belgian toothpaste.

Great racing man.