Race Report - Cameron Law Metchosin Road Race

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX
Race Report - Cameron Law Metchosin Road Race

Post by ghomer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Saturday's Cameron Law Road Race:

Not to mince words, the Metchosin road race is a race of attrition. I've yet to compete in an edition that hasn't seen the majority of the field DNF at some point during the 120km through the Metchosin hills. The race is punctuated by two significant, steep climbs each lap, with a sneaky false flat or two that are ripe for sneak attacks. Andrew Russell and I lined up for the 2016 edition against the usual Giant/SmartSavvy, Russ Hays, Trek Red Truck, and Langlois contingent with ambitions to make the Wheelers presence felt throughout the race. In the days leading up to the race, we had dialogued various strategies, and had confidence that Red Truck would push for a break, and Russ Hays for a bunch sprint. The first two laps set the race on its head, with the blistering pace set by Red Truck obliterating the field. I'd estimate 25 DNF's within the first two laps.

When some semblance of stability set into the race, four laps or so into proceedings, ARuss and I focused on making sure that any break had Wheeler representation. ARuss stirred the pot with his usual aplomb, and I managed to bridge to a Mike Van Den Ham move that had some promise, but was ultimately doomed after a lap or so. We should've expected it, but ARuss and I were both caught in recovery/reset mode when Craig Richey pulled off a gravel shoulder attack on the post Liberty Heights rollers. Craig's exploits on this course are the stuff of legend, and with both Langlois and Russ Hays both suffering a rash of lap 1 DNF's, his solo move could stick. My regret of the race was not following Jordan Landholt's bridge attempt the next time through the start finish. It would've put me deep in the red, but it was manageable.

Two thirds in and under team orders, Jordan stopped working with Craig, and the remaining twelve odd riders that constituted the pack brought the Red Truck man back. An almost immediate counter by Dylan Davies, joined by an only recently caught Craig was the next great break of the day. A Connor Toppings bridge attempt, seen as futile by the remaining group, was ultimately successful and there were three up the road with four odd laps remaining. ARuss and I worked our tails off to slice the gap on the climbs, but with one and a half to go, were caught out by A Garrett McLeod attack on Liberty. Garrett was joined by Kyle B. and Brett D., who had sheltered themselves from the wind all day long. Kudos to them. I was left cursing my heretofore well used match-book, as I fell meters short of getting into Garret's slipstream.

Garret's move would ultimately bring back Conor, Craig and Dylan, a feat of incredible strength. The remaining group of 8 on the rode, which included ARuss and myself, fought it out for the remaining places. ARuss went early early, then I went early, and then Ollie went just right. Great day, great ride.

GH