VCL Caleb - June 26

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx
VCL Caleb - June 26

Post by aruss » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Summer showed up for a Sunday Caleb that saw full squads from the Wheelers and ProCity. Russ Hays was reduced to just two riders with most out east for Nationals, nevertheless Jordan and Raph would prove to be two of the strongest riders on the day. Things rolled out like a typical Sunday coffee shop ride until Geoff lit things up on the first climb. Jordan went with him and the two were away. A solo bridge by Gordon Tulip grew there numbers to three. The ProCity chase wasn't really that organized and it took some large pulls by Ty Andrews to bring things back a few laps later. Geoff stayed pressing at the front, testing legs each time up the climb. A group of 3 more got a gap without a Wheeler in it. Some great work by Matt and new addition Nick brought things together again with about 8 laps to go. A few more attacks, nothing was sticking but time was taking its toll with some noticeable fatigue surfacing throughout the pack. On the front flat stretch I went for a flyer and tapped out a good tempo. Looking back I could see Jordan coming across. We worked for about a lap or so before being joined by Maxim, then Geoff, then Raph, and finally Emile. A group of 6 rolled through with 2 to go. Geoff told me to sit pretty and he would work with Jordan to keep the peleton at bay. On the final lap Geoff upped the pace on the little riser. I didn't think it would break our group but it did. However I noticed this too late and Raph Maxim and Emile were back on coming out of the final corner. Jordan took us into Mach1 down the back stretch and into the finish sprint. It was Maxim that led things out first and I jumped on his wheel. Raph then laid down a strong kick that got him a slight gap. I went all in but had missed his slip stream and couldn't recover the gap. Raph took the win with me about two bike lengths back. With perfect weather a contingent hit up Munns-Prospect-Wafterfront to cap a brilliant day.

Up Next Windsor Park July 3rd