VCL - Newton July 6

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX
VCL - Newton July 6

Post by ghomer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 am

The penultimate Newton Heights of the VCL season brought out an eclectic mix of mountain goats and incline-averse. Also, Jordan Landholt, who is just a stud independent of terrain. Sixteen laps were on the menu, with the fireworks beginning at go time. A DJ Cunningham initiated move right off the start line was quickly capitalized-on by an in-form Andrew McCartney, and the two of them set off to build a gap on the field. There was little interest from the pack; however, with experience suggesting that a the two up the road would have a very difficult time seeing their move through until the end. Jordan, whose VCL rides this season have been unparalleled, was always the one to watch. Any Jordan bridge attempt was the bridge attempt to be in. After three-odd laps of steady riding, recent Junior National Crit chap, Kurt Penno, set a destructive tempo up the climb, and was quickly joined by Jordan and myself. The three of us managed to bridge to AMac and DJ, and a détente was reached and a steady tempo established. DJ, who abhors peace and harmony, decided to attack with nine to go, and with AMac and myself as the only non-RH in the break, we were left to bring DJ in, or at least bring his gap down to a manageable level. For a while, AMac and I had success, and then Jordan attacked after I pulled off the front and it was race over. Nobody had the power to match his move, and Jordan and DJ would be the winning duo on the day. Successful bridges by both Raph and Erik D. meant that there were now five behind the two leaders. A strange strategy seemed to take over the five of us - we would work to make sure we couldn't get caught by the group, but never enough so that we'd be feeble for the final sprint. Strange times. Team tactics played out on the final lap, with a Kurt attack with .5 to go brought back by Erik, and then a Raph attack brought back by me. Raph would take the final podium place, followed by AMac, myself, and Erik.

Good times.