Nanaimo Double Dip

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx
Nanaimo Double Dip

Post by aruss » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

The Nanaimo double header the last two years has been the highlight of the cross season. Noted on the calendar to be a tough weekend with big smiles. This year the affair had two of the best courses lined up IMO to challenge every aspect of a cross racer.

Saturday's race was held at Beban Park. Infamous for mud-laden fields and the BMX swamp; the race did not disappoint in terms of gear grinding, watt churning soup that demanded the rider stay on top of the gear. Even with little elevation gain, the course took a lot out of the legs and lungs. A dismal start to my race had me picking off riders throughout the remaining laps. Catching my teammate Ian through the last mud section I had one chance to go for the pass on the sand. Ian held me off and we finished in tow with a high-five.

Sunday's course at Bowen Park was perhaps the best COTR course I've ever experienced. Tacky conditions made for a fast, flowy, loop with plenty of elevation and opportunities to pass. This course played to my strengths and I made sure to capitalize. Using some road tactics on the pavement section I sling-shot a few groups by surprise as I made my way into the top 10. On the last lap, a Kona rider caught me entering the final descent. Using his mtb skills, he nicely overtook me and I found myself getting piped once again at the line.

Over the weekend we had a number of great results from Wheelers:

- Barry Beck Super Masters Win
- Brain Green Masters Win
- Andy Pitre Double Intermediate Men Podium
- Emily Boyle Intermediate Women Podium
- Dylan Reeves Masters Men

What fun weekend, series finale coming up Nov. 20th.