Thunderbird RR

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Nick
Your Ride:Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road
Thunderbird RR

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Saturday's Thunderbird race was my first race off the island and my first attempt to get some upgrade points in Cat 4. Duncan and I left our quaint little B&B in historical Fort Langley and rode to the race course in hopes to get Ian a bottle in the Cat 1/2 race. Unfortunately a couple wrong turns had us at the course a little late...sorry Ian! We managed to scope out the final kicker of a climb on the course before the race started and figured that's where we'd make our move. The race did 6 laps of the 10km course. Each time up the final climb, the group would whittle bit by bit. The pace was relatively light and people were feeling antsy. With two laps to go, I pushed hard into the climb and Duncan and another racer from Steed cycles were the only riders remaining on my wheel. Entering the final lap I could see the group chasing behind, but I liked our chances. We took turns over the final 10km, and the gap continued to grow. The final time up the climb, with about 2km to go, I pushed hard again and found myself alone, crossing the line first and getting 10 valuable points towards my category upgrade. Turning around at the line, I got to see Duncan sprint it out and take 2nd! Fun racing and felt great to represent the Wheelers on the mainland!

trevor

Re: Thunderbird RR

Post by trevor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Well done guys. You'll be moving up the rank in no time.