VCL Caleb #3 - B Race

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

richm
Your Ride:a bike
Favourite Ride Style:road/MTB
VCL Caleb #3 - B Race

Post by richm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Let me start by saying that I have never won a race... Ever! This Wheelers win could have never happened without the help of Alex, Dave, Andrew, Deborah and William: my fellow killer B's. All the threatening moves were covered and we managed to get couple wheelers in the winning break that happened around the midpoint of the race. Prior to the break, the tripleshot kids were active, launching a series of two "man" attacks that were dutifully reeled in and then immediately countered by yet another duo of argyle clad neophytes. It was an impressive display of tripleshot team tactics, regardless of the outcome.

Not sure how the breakaway at the midpoint happened: I looked back and saw a bit of a gap and then the gap got bigger, even though it didn't seem like anyone was really driving the pace. I was quite surprised that the break stuck: it appeared that most people were not really interested in doing any work... In a moment of frustration I took a vote: "put your hand up if you want to be caught by the pack"... everyone seemed to get the message and we managed to stay away till the end. With a lap to go one of the tripleshot lads threw down an attack and stayed away until about half way up the backside. There was a bit of cat and mouse and I managed to slot in 4th wheel on the last corner. Coming down the hill there was one last attack from TS Malcolm Walker and I thought I might have missed the winning move. In what felt like an eternity at 60rpm I grinded it out to take the win by about half a wheel. SWEET!