May 7th Maple Bay Masters Race

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

stephane
Your Ride:Norco tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Gangnam
May 7th Maple Bay Masters Race

Post by stephane » Sun May 07, 2017 5:59 pm

The warm, sunny weather that we have been waiting for for so long finally made an appearance today for the Maple Bay Masters race. Short sleeves and bare legs were in order, and I even busted out a pair of white socks for the first time this year! A solid contingent of Wheelers were at the start line, with Mick in the 50s category and the rest of us (Eugene, Marcel, Greg Miller, Brian Green and me -Stéphane) among the 8 or so 40s along with some familiar ProCity faces and some Cowichan-area riders. The race was 4 laps of a 16km rolly loop; there were a few ramps of between 3 and 5%, but it was definitely a fast, big ring kind of course.
The BC Masters races follow an Australian pursuit format whereby riders set out in age categories: first the 80s (yes, there were some 80 year-old racers), then the 70s a few minutes later, then the 60s, etc. etc. all the way down to the 30s. Today the 30s were thrown in with the 40s, and the main team objective was for the 40s to catch the 50s and then try to get a Wheelers overall win.
The 40s + 30s group set out about 4 minutes after Mick's group and the pace was high from the gun (the previous lap KOM was smashed by no fewer than 7 riders today, according to Strava). It took about 1/2 a lap for the chase paceline to get organised, with our boys putting in lots of pulls (Brian and Greg in particular were on very impressive form today) and a few others making the occasional appearance at the front. Meanwhile, Mick and the 50s group whittled down to 4, with Mick wisely saving energy for the potential catch and regroup. Brian, Greg and Eugene were looking great and putting in solid efforts on the front, and David and Doug from CycleTherapy were also pitching in. After 2 laps the gap was down to 1:53, but the pace eased a fraction as riders sat in more and the paceline got choppier. The aforementioned CycleTherapy Doug and I got a small gap about halfway through the 3rd lap and worked together for a short time, but with the pack slowly pulling us back we decided to sit up and not burn any more matches, and it was grupo compacto once again heading into the bell lap. The paceline remained choppy with the 50s still out of sight, and it looked like the 30s/40s would have to duke it out amongst themselves to the finish. The final run-in was a double-whammy climb: a fast 2% ramp followed by a short plateau and then a 400m 4% finishing straight. Brian and Eugene had the group strung out coming into the finish with me in 3rd wheel, and I attacked hard at the bottom of the 1st climb. I was anticipating that the pack would think I would fade on the 2nd ramp and give me a bit of a leash, but I kicked hard again as the road tilted up once more and it was max effort to the line. The lead quartet of 50s were in sight with 500 metres to go, but having been alerted to the group closing in on them, were also sprinting full-out. Doug from CycleTherapy bridged up to me with 150 to go an it was mano-a-mano to the line... Doug finally finished ahead of me by a bike length only 10 seconds after the lead 50s had crossed the line. So close! Since Doug was in the 30s age category, I was still first from the 40s followed closely by Brian Green and then Eugene 2 places after that. A few moments later we found out that Mick had finished 3rd overall too! :)
It was another fantastic team effort today, and I would estimate that there was a Wheeler at the front about 75% of the time. All the guys looked super-smooth and rock-solid throughout. It was impressive to see!
Due to the multi-age placings there were lots of trips to the (virtual) podium today:
3rd overall and 1st (I think) in the 50-54 category: Mick B.
6th overall and 1st in the 40-44 category: Stéphane T.
7th overall and 2nd in the 40-44 category: Brian G.
9th overall and 2nd in the 45-49 category: Eugene H.
Double-kudos to Greg Miller (we need to get that guy a Wheelers jersey!) and Marcel Rambo too for their solid efforts today.