2018 Oregon Coast Gravel Epic

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Barry
Your Ride:Norco/Kona/Specialized
Favourite Ride Style:MTB
2018 Oregon Coast Gravel Epic

Post by Barry » Mon May 07, 2018 10:20 pm

The 2018 Oregon Coast Gravel Epic took place May 5th in the very lovely Oregon Coastal town of Waldport and surrounding coastal mountains.I travelled to this gravel race with Grant Reid(Wheeler),Peter Stevenson and Warren McCall.There are two courses:The Abomination approx 100 kms and Son of Abomination 50 kms. There were approximately 200 racers mostly from Oregon State and of course Van Isle!

This event is very causal and low key...gravel roots...reminded me of the XC scene in the 80's/90's and present CX scene on the Island.There were many types of bike on the start line ranging from old school 26er's,29,tandems,adventure,CX, and state of the art gravel race rigs.Ti,Alu,Carbon,steel and a wood frame too!

The locals,race organizers and racers are super friendly and were blown away that we came from Van Isle to do this race.Grant and Pete did this race last year: Warren and I were easily persuaded to join them again this year.The Oregon Coast is simply beautiful and their coastal mountains make for near perfect gravel riding.The Forest Service Road networks are well maintained with a mixture of gravel and paved surfaces,yes paved.

The long race course featured 4 significant climbs with a total race course elevation profile of close to 2000 m over approx.100 km.There are long climbs followed by thrilling descents with breathtaking views throughout.The course was well marked with three feed stations and mech support.There was funny signage along the way to ease the strain. On the last climb a sign stated: Mt Hubris,don't get cocky.

This was my first gravel race and I am hooked!! I(Wheelers) managed a first place in my age group 55-59 and 16 overall...31 mins back of first place.The PNW States have many gravel events.Will gravel really take off in BC....hmmm...hasn't already?

https://www.webscorer.com/racedetails?r ... did=150582

Cheers,
Barry Beck