Race the ridge - Maple ridge

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

kaylavandermolen
Race the ridge - Maple ridge

Post by kaylavandermolen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 am

Congratulations to Katie Rushton her 4th place overall win in the women's cat 3/4 this weekend! Sarah Clarke (Pro City) placed 5th over all. :D
results can be found here ----> http://www.localride.ca/wp/category/rtr/

trevor

Re: Race the ridge - Maple ridge

Post by trevor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Way to go Katie! I heard the weather was horrible. Good on ya and looking forward to hearing more about it.
Trevor

vicwheelers

Re: Race the ridge - Maple ridge

Post by vicwheelers » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 am

OBB Wheeler Katie Rushton hooked us up with a nice little recap of her weekend. She is too lazy to create a forum account so we thought we'd go easy on her and help her post it. Katie, get it together.

"Last weekend I headed over to the mainland for Race the Ridge to attempt my first ‘stage race’. The weekend consisted of a road race followed by a time trial on Saturday, then a criterium Sunday morning. The main goal of the weekend was to have fun and get some racing experience.

Things kicked off with absolutely pouring rain Saturday morning for the road race but luckily it wasn’t too cold. The goal quickly changed to just keeping the rubber side down for the 50 or so kilometers. The race broke up right off the start but Sarah and I were able to work well together to catch all but one. Sarah kept me in a good spot leading into the last corner for the uphill sprint and I was able take second place.

After a couple hours spent in a coffee shop we headed over for the time trial. I had never done a TT so I was a little nervous. It started, and midway I was caught and passed by two girls. It could have gone better, but the experience was great!

The criterium on Sunday was a lot of fun! The roads were dry, the sun was coming out and I was excited to race (I also spotted a gelato shop just off the course on the warm up laps so I had a feeling it was going to be a good day). I was able to stay near the front for the race and get myself in a good position on the last lap to sprint and take the win.

Overall it was an awesome weekend of racing! I ended up fourth in the cat3/4 GC and I learned a lot. Thanks to Oak Bay Bikes for all the support and mechanical expertise!"

Katie, you rock. Now post your own race reports!