Sunday Ride Report

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Joe Gard
Sunday Ride Report

Post by Joe Gard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 am

Well we didn't know which bikes to take. It looked like it was going to be dry but one never knows, so we took our winter bikes. Had a nice size group at the shop...16 or so I think, with another new rider to group riding. Cindy is her name. Cindy you rode great. Can't wait to see what you can do on a "real bike"!! As usual it was nice and controlled and conversational. Several members of IRC joined us just before Lochside and we became a group of 24. Biggest group to date on the Sunday ride. I think we had 7 women out on this ride. That's great!!! :D I'd much rather follow one of those bums than the usual rag-tag big butts. Nothing spectacular happened along the way. Derek set a very nice pace going up Panorama (and he can tear the legs of most of us on hills) and we all stayed together. I was at the back on Interurban when Mick jumped and he was followed by Dean and Joost. It's really not fair when a guy like Joost who doesn't ride as much as many of us can win the sprint!!! :( I tried a late come-from-behind attack but couldn't bridge up. Well done guys!!!
For anyone reading this post, if you're intimidated by riding in a group, you can come on this ride and you will be "coached" and looked after, just like Cindy on this, her first group ride. She was really scared and nervous but by time we got to Sidney she was getting comrfortable. This is a ride that respects traffic and makes newbies to group riding feel safe and secure. Anyone who wants to come out is welcome. We just ask...if you're going to do more than one or two of these rides, please join the Wheelers. It's the respectful thing to do. I am also a member of IRC because of our Thursday night "Caveman Rides". I've been a member of at least 3 clubs at a time over the years. I think it's the respectful thing to do. And if you DO NOT havd insurance, please get it. Just sayin!!!!!

jumelage
Your Ride:Stevens Aspin
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Re: Sunday Ride Report

Post by jumelage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for the nice ride report Joe!

Yeah, it was a great ride. Maybe I won the sprint because I chose my summer bike (not that I had any choice...) and Mick was on his cross bike with a smaller biggest gear? Who knows...

Joost

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 pm

w00t! Personal best today

Agoraphobic Cyclist

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Sorry, here's a proper ride report -

A fair sized group of ~15 left the shop, picking up a few along the way out to Sidney. Lots of Wheeler's kits - I think I counted 7 or 8!

Aside from a way-ward senior pedestrian, the pace was solid and smooth going into Mount Doug. A newcomer ended up leading a blistering pace out Mount Doug, but the pack stuck together to make the light. Lochside got a little tight for space, between us, a handful of cars and a tonnes of happy runners. Sidney was nice - no wind... ...on the waterfront. The group got split at Panorama, regrouping just past the top and set a comfortable pace along Wallace. A couple of people took off at the lights in Brentwood - I won't mention any initials, but their names were Rob, Connie and possibly a third - but the pack caught up by the Butchart Gardens Stop Sign. I managed to stick with the group through the rollers, onto Interurban. There was some indecision on Interurban before the group formed and took off. I didn't get to see who won the sprint, but everyone met at the lights before continuing on. Some went for coffee - wish I could have joined in.

Agoraphobic Cyclist

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Huge group today. And then we pick up regulars along the way. Not as many Wheelers kits as last weekend - I counted five. But Wheelers kits still outnumbered the IRC ones.

The pace was a tad quicker than the previous weekend. For the size of the group, I didn't notice any "yo-yoing" ...but I can't speak for the people behind me. Joe and Kim took the IRC riders on a Ross Durance ride extension.

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I thought it was about time to do another Sunday Ride report. 3 more new riders, one of them being an old-time Wheeler. Pat is his first name but can't remember his last name. Lives in Fort St. John now but lived here for a long time. He hardly recognized the city. And Susan...another new rider who is just getting back on the bike again did a fantastic job of digging deep and doing the whole ride. She was only going to do part of it but she completed the whole ride...ways to go Susan!!! She rode with the Monday night women's ride and is going to do that again trying to get in shape. We are continually getting upwards of 14 riders now and had 17 today. If you're reading this for the first time and you're new to group riding c'mon out and give this a try. This is a safe ride and you will be taught and encouraged how to ride in a group. If you love blowing through stop signs...don't bother coming. If you love pushing the pace...don't bother coming. This is both a recovery ride and introduction to group riding. I want to thank Dennis for helping on the ride today. As always I want to thank Kim for helping as she always does. Nothing spectacular to report other than it was a nice social ride with great weather again. Sorry to be so boring. We are going to start splitting the group I think in Sidney for those who want to ride a wee bit quicker. I don't want this turning into the typical fast, hard rides that are everywhere. This is a chance for recovery and learn to ride in a group. I'm hoping when we split the group in Sidney, they won't turn it into a hammer fest but I will have no control as I will be staying back and helping weaker riders and helping newer riders. Enjoy the great weather we are having!!!

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 am

What an incredible ride today. Oh wait...it wasn't so incredible after all. There were only Kim, Jeff Davis and me. So we went to Jeff's place for coffee. The end. Oh wait, not quite the end. Kim and I left Jeff's and decided to ride for awhile by ourselves. Ended up catching Raph and Emile and rode with them for awhile nice and casual. Now it's the end.

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 am

Thought it was about time to do another ride report for Sunday.
I am so impressed with the numbers we are getting on this ride. Constantly getting new riders, and several women now. The pace is nice and steady for the most part and it's conversational the whole way unless you're climbing up Panorama. :D The end of the ride saw Doug, Larry, Bruce and I going to Good Earth for coffee, which by the way we did yesterday too. For those of you who do not have a Victoria Wheelers membership, please do it in early next year. It's only fair to be a paid member if you come on these rides. It's only $20 if you have an associate membership through cycling B.C. and the benefits are many. We have supported rides like Vic2Cow, Cowichan Valley ride, Hurricane Ridge. We will also have the odd social and year-end party's. You will also be "looked after" very well on any Sunday ride. This is a road bike group though, not a mountain bike ride. You need a decent road bike and when it's wet please use fenders. Kim and I look forward to seeing you again!!! :D

jumelage
Your Ride:Stevens Aspin
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Post by jumelage » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Does anyone know what Rhonda her situation is? Did she break anything? How is she now?

Really enjoyed the ride this Sunday, too bad it ended in that crash..

Ty B
Your Ride:Moots Ti

Post by Ty B » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

I was told by Kim, that Rhonda broke her collarbone but did not require surgery. Wishing her a speedy recovery.