Wednesday Group Training Rides

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

jmpb
Wednesday Group Training Rides

Post by jmpb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi folks. For anyone who is interested, I am planning some training rides out of OBB Victoria on Wednesday evenings starting on March 11. Leaving the shop at 6 pm sharp, we will be doing various interval sessions out around the farmlands on the way to Sidney. Be sure to bring a couple of clip on lights this week, as we will likely be finishing in the dark.
Hope to see you on Wednesday.

Mick

trevor

Re: Wednesday Group Training Rides

Post by trevor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks Mick.
These are great sessions folks and not just for those members gearing up for the race reason. Mick has been working towards attaining his coaching certifications over the past few years. He does a really good job of tailoring the ride to each person's abilities. He keeps things fun and "enjoyable".
Trevor

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:20 pm

I was all alone on the Wednesday ride on the 11th, but that was OK. It was not a pleasant night. Had a good workout though. This week is a hill / interval workout. Once again, leaving OBB at 6 pm this Wednesday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll have a few more guys out.

See you Wednesday.
Mick

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 am

This past Wednesday, (March 18), three guys turned out for the Wednesday night men's training ride. Mick, Blair and Andrew R left OBB at around 6:10. After a relaxing warm up we hit Sea Ridge Rd. and did three hard repeats up and down Sea Ridge. Andrew was taking it easy on the first climb, as he didn't know the route and didn't want to get lost! Blair was off ahead of Andrew and I and almost missed the first left turn and nearly ended up all the way over at Claremont School. I was able to yell "Left Turn" even though I was close to red line at that point.
The other two repeats, Andrew crushed it!
Following these repeats we did 10 2 minute intervals with 2 minutes rest after each. I am always amazed at how much ground we can cover in an interval session. The ride ended up being about 2:15. The weather was nice as well.

Each week will be a different workout and we are hoping to have more guys out in the coming weeks.
We will leave OBB at 6, and it is a good idea these days to pack some lights, just in case.

Next week is an attack simulation workout. 20 second sprint-60 seconds hard-20 second sprint-3 minute rest, 3 times, then 5 minute rest, and repeat whole thing 2 more times. It will be a hard workout, but it is a fun one as well. Hope to see a bunch of guys out for this one.

Have a great weekend everyone, and try to stay dry!

Mick

marc
Your Ride:Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Post by marc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am

See you there tonight! 20-60-20 is my favourite interval. But also the one I hate the most during.

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Great workout on March 25. Byrnes and Marc D out with me and we ripped it up. Definitely got the heart rate up and we were pretty fried by the end, but we all agreed that it was a beautiful night for a ride, and the rain stayed away! Next week is long intervals at threshold. If we gat a group of guys out we can do two up intervals, 5 minutes each. We'll see how many turn up and finalize the workout then. If you are interested in joining us on April Fools Day please post to the forum or email me and we can firm up the workout early next week.

Cheers!
Mick

marc
Your Ride:Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Post by marc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:13 am

Count me in :)

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Workout for April 1. This ain't no April Fool's joke! Hopefully see a good group out for this workout. Meeting at the shop and leaving at 6 pm sharp.
Warm up out past Cordova Bay
5 x 20 sec sprints with 40 sec rests
6 x 5 min with 5 min rests
5 x 20 sec sprints with 40 sec rests
Cool down

Pack a couple of lights just in case.

See you tomorrow!
Mick

BPhelps
Your Ride:Giant T-Mobile Alliance
Favourite Ride Style:MTB

Post by BPhelps » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:40 pm

I plan to make it out (work permitting). Sounds delightfully painful.

Blair

jmpb

Post by jmpb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Blair and I headed out on the Wednesday training ride on wet roads with rain threatening, but the skies cleared a bit and we actually had nice weather for the ride. The workout went well, and we were both suitably wrecked from the interval session.
Next Wednesday there is going to be an open, free wind trainer session near Ross Bay cemetery. Watch the Vic Wheelers site for details.

Cheers,
Mick